How to Produce a Plant-Based Ready-to-Drink Beverage
12 July 2022
This video shows how to produce a high protein plant-based ready-to-drink beverage using NUTRALYS® S85 Plus pea protein.
The first step shows the weighing of the different powders:
- NUTRALYS® S85 Plus-N pea protein to increase the protein content in the final product. The low viscosity and the good heat resistance are two keys’ properties for ready-to-drink beverages.
- NUTRIOSE® FM 06 soluble fiber to increase the fiber content,
- Sugar to improve the sensory attributes of the drink,
- Oil for the smoothness and nutritional purpose , lecithin to create a good emulsion,
- Texturizers to improve the stability and the mouthfeel,
- Flavors to enhance the taste of the final product.
The second step is about the hydration of the dry ingredients, using specific mixing equipment and parameters:
- Use water temperature to 50°C to optimize the solubility of the NUTRALYS® pea protein,
- Use low shear to dissolve well the different powders and avoid foam creation,
- Manage the time of hydration to enhance the solubilization of the NUTRALYS® pea protein.
The third step is the addition of the oil phase into the water phase; it is also called the pre-emulsion. Time and shear will be also key in this phase.
The last step is the heat treatment using a pilot plant UHT equipment where both NUTRALYS® S85 Plus-N pea protein, NUTRIOSE® FM 06 will not be impacted in their quality thanks to their strong stability over processes:
- Tank filling with the previous hydrated mix,
- Sterilization at 142°C to reduce microbiological activity,
- High-pressure homogenization step to improve the emulsion and improve the smoothness of the ready-to-drink beverage over time.
- Bottle aseptic filling.
This is the best way to produce a nutritious ready-to-drink beverage using a sustainable source of plant protein and to support muscle health.